Permits, Licenses & Forms

How to Submit Permits

 All permit applications and supplemental information (e.g. Surveys, site plans, building plans) must be emailed to We are extending permit expirations to one year.

Please attach the signed and filled out permit application form and materials to the email (or send a link to a cloud sharing platform where the documents can be downloaded). In the subject line of the email please indicate the address for the property and the permit type (e.g. 1234 Main st. – New Construction; or 1234 Main st. – Deck Permit).

We will notify you by email or phone when permits are ready for payment and will be issued upon receipt of payment. We will still be accepting checks for permits via mail, or by the City’s drop box in front of City Hall. Please indicate the address or permit number either in a cover letter with the check, or the check memo. Most permits can also be paid for via credit card, however, a 3% processing fee will be applied for permits over $500. New Construction permits will be required to submit payment by check due to the site escrow requirements. We cannot process bank wires, or e-checks.

Metro West will still be operating and any scheduling and inspections will still be coordinated by calling Metro West Inspection Services at 763-479-1720.

Water Meter Install For Closing on Home

Building Permits

Building permit applications are to be submitted electronically at  Applications must be accompanied by a set of plans and a survey (surveys are needed if permit is for exterior work)  Metro West Inspection Services is contracted by Dayton to complete building inspections.  Please direct building code questions and inspection requests to Metro West Inspection Services at (763) 479-1720.

**Homes over 20 years old may qualify for permit discounts for remodeling, basement finishes, or additions. Please contact City Hall for more information**

Water & Sewer Connections

Water and Sewer connections are inspected by the Public Works department.  Please visit the Water and Sewer page under Public Works for more information.

Development Application

Please complete this application for requests related to land use and ordinance amendments.  The application, supporting documents, and fees must be submitted prior to the City taking action on the request.

Rental Application

Solicitors, Peddlers Application

Please complete the application in its entirety.  The application, supporting documents, photo identification and fees must be submitted prior to the City taking action on the request.  Please allow 7-10 business days for processing each application.

Park Rental Application