New Residents Information


We thought you might like some answers to questions people often have when moving to a new community. The City website is a great resource and many answers can be found here, including timely messages that staff or council may need to send out to the community. 


For Homesteading information, please contact the County where your property is located.

Hennepin County (612) 348-3046
To visit the Hennepin County website, please click HERE

Wright County (763) 682-7367
To visit the Wright County website, please click HERE

City Council Meetings

Council meetings are open to the public and are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. Meetings take place at 6:30 pm at the City of Dayton Council Chambers located at 12260 South Diamond Lake Road, Dayton, MN 55327.  After meetings are convened at 6:30 p.m, the floor is open to citizen input. 


The City pays for recycling out of property taxes and Randy’s Recycling/Republic picks up every other week.  Call (320) 252-9608 if you need a barrel or have questions on your service day.

Organic Recycling

Dayton residents have the opportunity to participate in organic recycling. Organics recycling involves collecting food scraps, non-recyclable paper and other compostable products to be recycled into compost at a large-scale composting facility. This process creates a nutrient-rich material that can be used in gardens and landscaping projects. Organics recycling is the best opportunity to reduce our trash – about 25 percent what we throw away is organic materials like food scraps and compostable paper. In order to be successful with organics recycling, it’s important to understand why it’s important, how it works, what is accepted, and how to get started.  Dayton residents have the opportunity to organic recycle. 

Drop-off location:  16471 South Diamond Lake Rd

Interested in receiving information or participating in organic recycling?  Please contact Assistant Administrator/City Clerk, Amy Benting at  


This information is provided as a courtesy, but residents should call and verify companies service their address

  • Ace Solid Waste (763) 427-3110
  • Curbside Waste (763) 504-CURB
  • Republic Services (763) 972-3335
  • Waste Management (886) 513-1811

Street Parking

Overnight parking on any City street requires a Parking Permit. These are available at no cost from the Police Department at 13700 Zanzibar Lane North, Dayton, MN 55327. Call for more details: 763-427-2017


CenterPoint Energy is the gas provider throughout Dayton.  If you have questions, please call (612) 372-4727.  To report a gas leak emergency, please call (612) 372-5050 or (800) 296-9815.  To view the CenterPoint Energy website, please click HERE.


Flushable Items

Toilet paper only! Please do not flush tissues, paper towel, feminine hygiene products, and flushable wipes, as they do not break down and cause problems with sewer pumps. The same products can cause problems with septic systems, as well. They can plug up the holes in a drain field, causing it to fail. 

Dayton Communicator

The Dayton Communicator is the City newsletter and is published six times per year and included with the utility bills or mailed directly to properties with septic and well. Issues are sent first part of the month in January, March, May, July, September, and November. The Communicator contains information about the City and its events

Septic Pumping

Attention if you have a private septic!  State law and City ordinances require septic systems to be pumped out every three years. Your Professional Septic Pumper should fill out a form and return it to City Hall. Forms are available at City Hall or fillable forms on our website

Street Lights/Utility Services

The City pays for street lights and maintenance out of property taxes. If you see a street light out, please call Public Works at (763) 427-3224 and report its location and pole number so the proper utility can be contacted to replace the bulb.  Please view the Electric Services Map below for location of Utility services or you can input your address HERE and view the utility service in your neighborhood.


Chickens are allowed in residential areas in Dayton, but no roosters or crowing hens. The number allowed varies based on size of lot and zoning. 

Rental Licenses

Any house that is rented out must have a rental license. These are available through City Hall. The cost is $300.00 for two years and an inspection must be passed prior to a license being issued. 

Property Taxes

Those with questions on property taxes should contact the Hennepin County  Assessor’s office by calling 612-348-3046 or by visiting 

Fences, Decks, and Accessory Buildings

Fences, decks, and accessory buildings are popular improvements many homeowners tackle. Prior to any construction of these improvements, check with the City Planning and Zoning department on any requirements that exist.

All fences require a Fence Permit application.

Accessory buildings more than 200 square feet in size require a Building Permit. Accessory buildings or sheds less than 200 square feet, do not currently require any permits. All building must meet setback requirements and City Code and Zoning Ordinance.

All decks and accessory buildings regardless of size must adhere to setback requirements for your residential district and cannot be built within any easements that exist on the property.

For fence, decks, and accessory buildings over 200 square feet, two scaled site plans are required showing where the fence, deck, or building is located. Site plans may be on existing surveys or be a simple hand-drawn plan, as long as the site plans have a scale (i.e. one-inch equals 20 feet) and show all structures, property boundaries, and the proposed improvement (fence, accessory building, etc.) Decks and accessory buildings over 200 square feet also require two set of building plans.

Note: fences may be located within most conventional drainage and utility easements but are built at the applicant’s risk and will be taken down at the owner’s expense should any work be required within the easement. Always contact the Planning department to understand what type of easements are on your property.

For any questions on building code or what should be included in the building plans, contact Metro West Inspection Services at 763-479-1720.

For any questions on how your property is zoned or what your required setbacks are, contact Dayton’s Planning and Zoning department at 763-712-3221.

Understanding Your Utility Bill