This morning we had a mechanical failure at Well 4, which is causing us to take it out of production. The down time is projected to be 2 weeks, while the well pump, motor and shaft are removed taken off site for assessment, repaired and reinstalled. At this time it is not known the extent of the damage. The well is still under warranty so staff are not expecting any costs.
In the meantime, we will be supplying water from Well 2, this will put a lot of strain on the well to maintain current demand (average usage 942,000 gallons per day), with the weather showing rising temperatures and limited precipitation, demand is likely to increase. Staff are going to put out the Odd/Even notice boards in the North East distribution area of the City, to try and temper some of the demand.
Staff would like to thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation. If you have questions feel free to contact Marty Farrell at (612) 751-8847
- 52.057 WATER CONSERVATION RESTRICTIONS.
(E) Irrigation Restrictions. These restrictions shall apply to all properties on the municipal water system.
- Odd-Even Irrigation (Lawn Sprinkling). Irrigation will be restricted. Properties with even numbered post office addresses may irrigate on even numbered calendar days. Properties with odd numbered post office addresses may irrigate on odd numbered calendar days. Property owners with private wells are not affected by this irrigation ban.
- Prohibited Hours. There shall be no irrigation of lawns, trees, shrubs or other vegetation by use of municipal water between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- New Sod. Unless specifically included in the mandatory emergency water conservation measures, new seed and sod are exempt from the odd-even requirement for a period of four weeks from installation, while the irrigation restriction is in place. Irrigation shall comply with the prohibited hours.
- Exceptions. An exception to the odd-even requirement will be made to golf greens and tees, athletic fields with heavy usage or special soil conditions. Irrigation of these area shall still adhere to the 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. restrictions.
- Fine for Violation.
- First violation of this section will result in a written warning.
- The second and each subsequent violation of this section will result in a fine of $100.00. Property owners will be notified in person (if they are present) and will receive a violation notification by mail. Any fine(s) will be added to the utility bill.
- Fines shall be issued by the Police Department or Public Works Utility Staff.